Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines
|Donald Trump offers protection for 'Dreamers' in exchange for his wall in bid to end government shutdown
President Donald Trump last night offered to extend temporary deportation protections for people illegally brought to the US as children in exchange for funding for his border wall with Mexico. In a rare weekend address, Mr Trump outlined a series of proposals in the hope of ending the federal government shutdown which has left 800,000 workers furloughed or forced to work unpaid. The proposal includes legislation to allow around 700,000 immigrants who came to the US illegally as children, known as Dreamers, to keep their work permits and be protected from deportation for three years. It also extends protections for immigrants from some Latin American and African countries who currently hold temporary protected status (TPS). The president has previously shied away from offering protections for both groups - a key concern of Democrats and some moderate Republicans - fearing a backlash from the most conservative wing of his base. I will be live from the White House at 4:00 P.M.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 19, 2019 The president framed the proposal as "common sense with lots of compromise" as he sought to shift the pressure onto Democrats to reach a funding deal that can end the shutdown. However Mr Trump reiterated his demand for $5.7bn in funding for a border wall with Mexico - a key 2016 campaign pledge - something Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House of Representatives, has previously pledged to reject. Ahead of Mr Trump's address the Democratic leader said she considered his proposal a “nonstarter,” in part because it offered no permanent pathway to citizenship for Dreamers. “His proposal is a compilation of several previously rejected initiatives, each of which is unacceptable and in total, do not represent a good faith effort to restore certainty to people’s lives. It is unlikely that any one of these provisions alone would pass the House, and taken together, they are a non-starter," she said. Mr Trump has been at logger heads with the Democratic leadership over a funding package for weeks, making this the longest shutdown in US history. Seeking to cast the plan as a bipartisan way forward, Mr Trump said he had support from "rank-and-file" Democrats, as top Democrats made clear they had not been consulted. He also said Mitch McConnell, the Senate Majority Leader, would bring the legislation to a vote this week, though Democrats appeared likely to block it. Mr McConnell had previously stated that no vote should be held in the Senate until Mr Trump and Democrats agreed on a bill. A number of Mr Trump's proposals echo ideas put forward by Democrats in the last few days, including hiring 75 new immigration judges to tackle the large backlog of cases and additional funding to improve ports of entry along the southern border. Mr Trump even toned down the rhetoric on the wall, which he has previously described as "beautiful barbed wire", saying: “This is not a 2,000-mile concrete structure from sea to shining sea. These are steel barriers in high priority locations. Much of the border is already protected by natural barriers such as mountains and water.” What is original in the President’s proposal is not good. What is good in the proposal is not original. Democrats will vote next week to add additional border security funding for ports of entry, advanced technology for scanning vehicles for drugs & immigration judges.— Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) January 19, 2019 The president also pledged $800 million dollars in humanitarian assistance, medical support, and new temporary housing as well as $782 million to hire an additional 2,750 border agents, law enforcement officers, and staff. The unusually conciliatory tone is thought to be the result of discussions that Mike Pence, the Vice President, and Jared Kushner, the president's son-in-law and adviser, have had with lawmakers on Capitol Hill in recent days. The Republicans hope the proposal could persuade a handful of moderate Democrats anxious to re-open the government to lend their support.
POSTED JANUARY 19, 2019 6:35 PM
|The Latest: Police chief calls 14-year-old's death 'tragic'
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) — The Latest on the police shooting of a 14-year-old burglary suspect in Arizona (all times local):
POSTED JANUARY 18, 2019 5:59 PM
|Snow: Flight cancellations now stretch into Sunday
Airlines are already canceling flights ahead of a new winter storm forecast to bring snow and ice from the Great Plains to the Midwest and Northeast.
POSTED JANUARY 19, 2019 9:30 AM
|Mexican airline trolls Americans with brilliant ad
While the debate over immigration and a border wall between the United States and Mexico has helped grind the U.S. federal government to a halt, Mexico's national airline, AeroMexico, is trolling Americans with a new ad called "DNA Discounts."
The ad features purported residents of Wharton, Texas, a town about 60 miles southwest of Houston, professing a variety of opinions about Mexico and its citizens. The ad also drops some knowledge about the long history of immigration from Mexico to the U.S., and notes that many in southern and southwestern states have a touch of Mexican DNA.
Things get flipped when the airline reveals it's offering flight discounts to Americans, including those Wharton residents, based on the amount of Mexican DNA they have (i.e., 18 percent DNA equals an 18 percent discount). That certainly turns opinions around. As one recipient says, "I love discounts!"
Of course, it's such a brilliant ad, it's hard to tell if those Wharton residents are real or just actors and if this whole DNA discount thing is real or satirical. Aeromexico, which has gotten political before, isn't saying much, but we've reached out for comment and will update this post when we hear back.
Either way, it's a brilliant gambit that undermines the vitriol so many Americans have expressed at our neighbors to the south, and does so without ever directly mentioning the political turmoil, the wall, or even President Trump. Instead, it directs that energy at a sense of shared community, including the tagline, "There are no borders within us." Not a bad way to spread a powerful message.
POSTED JANUARY 18, 2019 9:53 AM
|US Navy chief hints aircraft carrier could be sent through Taiwan Strait, despite threat of new Chinese missiles
The US Navy could still send an aircraft carrier through the Taiwan Strait in spite of Chinese military technology advances which pose a greater threat to American warships than ever before, the US chief of naval operations has said. Such an operation would inevitably increase the risk of military conflict between the world's largest superpowers, which are currently locked in an escalating trade war and ongoing disputes over territorial claims in the South China Sea. Washington sent ships through the strategic waterway, which separates Taiwan from the Chinese mainland, three times last year, but has not dispatched a carrier in more than 10 years.
POSTED JANUARY 18, 2019 7:47 AM
|Singapore Plans to Buy F-35 Fighter Jets to Replace F-16 Fleet
The Air Force’s F-16s that were in service since 1998 will retire soon after 2030, Defense Minister Ng Eng Hen said in a Facebook post the same day. Singapore has an annual defense budget of S$14.76 billion ($10.9 billion), the Straits Times reported in March 2018.
POSTED JANUARY 18, 2019 8:58 PM
|First picture: Prince Philip car crash victim 'not getting enough support from Palace'
A mother of two whose wrist was broken when the car she was in collided with Prince Philip’s Land Rover has told friends she is “unhappy” with the way Buckingham Palace has handled the accident. The Telegraph can reveal that Emma Fairweather, 45, was the passenger in the Kia car last Thursday when it struck the Duke of Edinburgh’s Land Rover near the Queen’s Sandringham estate in Norfolk. Ms Fairweather has since complained of feeling “overwhelmed” by the experience of being involved, firstly, in a crash and, secondly, in one involving the husband of the monarch. Friends and relatives described Ms Fairweather as a “warm and caring woman”, as well as a devoted mother of two teenage children. They said she had told of how “she still has not been cleared” by doctors as fit and well after suffering the injury to her wrist. Others have claimed Ms Fairweather, as well as the 28-year-old female Kia driver who suffered cuts to her knee, had felt “unhappy” because they said they had been “advised” by police not to talk about the collision. No-one from Norfolk Police was available for comment on Saturday. The younger woman’s nine-month-old baby was in the back of the Kia and survived without any injuries after the vehicle struck the Duke’s two-tonne car on the A149 sending it rolling across the road. Ms Fairweather has told friends she is unhappy with how Buckingham Palace handled the crash There was no suggestion the car was speeding. The two women and the Duke were breathalysed but neither was over the drink drive limit. A source has since confirmed that the Duke took and passed a police eyesight test, as part of the ongoing investigation. Four people had to help the visibly shaken prince out of the Freelander. Others went to the aid of the two women and baby in the Kia amid fears that smoke coming from vehicle could lead to an explosion or fire. A source who knows Ms Fairweather and spoke on condition of anonymity said the mother of two was “frustrated” with how the episode had been handled as she was caught up in a crash that has made headlines around the world. The woman explained: “She said, ‘It’s suddenly become so overwhelming that I’m quite tempted to simply go home. I’m just wondering if I’m out of my depth and should retreat.” While Ms Fairweather has not yet elaborated on exactly why she felt unhappy, there has been considerable dismay locally that the police took a day to reveal that a nine-month-old baby was also in the Kia vehicle. The scene of the crash last week Buckingham Palace revealed earlier that “contact had been made privately with the passengers in the other car and well-wishes had been exchanged”, however it remains unclear whether the prince made that approach or if it been an aid. Meanwhile, some locals have complained that it required an accident involving a member of the Royal Family on a notorious stretch of the A149 to prompt the council to lower the speed limit from 60mph to 50mph. Among those killed on the road is Sandra Greenacre, a 51-year-old police community support officer, who died after being involved in an accident on her way to work in 2013. Her son, Danny Child, 27, from King’s Lynn, told The Telegraph: “Personally, I feel like it is disrespectful to everyone who has had a road traffic collision on the A149. "It’s been an issue for the last five to six years but now a royal has had a crash something has been done. I just feel like it’s disrespectful.” It is not the first time the prince has been involved in a collision. In January 1996, Prince Philip, then 74, was involved in an accident in Brandon, Suffolk, while travelling from Sandringham. Both vehicles were damaged in the prang. Ms Fairweather also told friends how she had been moved by the “numerous” family members and former neighbours eager to ensure she was safe and well. The Duke of Edinburgh returned to the road in a new car on Saturday Credit: Geoff Robinson One neighbour in Kings Lynn, where Ms Fairweather lived for three years before moving out last year, said she was a “wonderfully warm” woman and a “fantastic mother” who was seen regularly walking her dog. “She will be terribly shocked to be caught up in this whole thing. I can’t imagine how she feels about it all,” he said. Ms Fairweather had lived in a two-up-two down semi-detached house, along with her two teenage children, Alex, a 19-year-old fine art student at York University, and a teenage son. It is understood Ms Fairweather summoned a relative, Samantha Fairweather, 38, to the scene of the accident to comfort her. They were photographed alongside the prince’s Land Rover which had rolled onto its side, as well as the Kia car in a hedge. The Duke was reported to have said “I’m such a fool” to a member of the public who had helped him out the car. Victoria Warne, 72, who stopped at the scene with her husband, Roy, 75, said the prince “looked so worried”, adding: “I’m such a fool.” It is understood a bidding war has broken out among tabloid news outlets for Ms Fairweather’s account of the crash and her treatment by the authorities in the aftermath. Additional reporting by Helena Horton and Mike Wright.
POSTED JANUARY 19, 2019 4:00 PM
|Calabasas campground murder: Family of Tristan Beaudette file $90M claim over his death
The family of the man shot and killed while camping with his daughters at Malibu Creek State Park has filed a $90 million claim over his death.
POSTED JANUARY 18, 2019 10:10 PM
|Merkel's Bavarian allies elect new head, ushering in new era
BERLIN (AP) — Chancellor Angela Merkel's Bavarian allies elected a new leader Saturday, a change that offers Germany's center-right a chance to move past their persistent bickering over recent years.
POSTED JANUARY 19, 2019 9:12 AM
|Donald Trump's week of living dangerously
From bad economic news to the ongoing government shutdown to bombshell reports that he directed his lawyer to lie to Congress, it has been a week to forget for the president.
POSTED JANUARY 18, 2019 3:57 PM