MONDAY, APRIL 7, 2014
Churches and other houses of worship have several different liability coverage needs. Church and synagogue insurance providers understand this and offer a variety of liability coverage options from which you can choose. Some policies may include some of these options as part of their standard package while other will require you to purchase separate endorsements for each option. These options can include:
In each case listed above, your church liability insurance will provide compensation for any related court costs and legal fees. (Source: TrustedChoice.com)
- General liability insurance: This comes standard with all church insurance policies. It provides liability protection for church members, employees, officials, staff, and volunteers acting on behalf of the church if they should be responsible for property damage or injuries to third parties while performing duties for the church. This insurance also provides you with coverage for medical costs if anyone, excluding staff, is injured in your church or on church grounds.
- Ministers and pastors liability insurance: This provides spiritual counseling liability insurance. In some cases, church insurance companies will require your covered clergy to have a masters degree in theology or divinity.
- Church-sponsored activities liability insurance: If your church sponsors an off-site activity, such as a softball game, picnic or formal dinner, you will need to purchase liability insurance for these special events. This will provide coverage if a guest is injured or causes property damage to the venue in which your event is hosted. This is a one-time use insurance and must be purchased prior to each event.
- Fire legal liability insurance: Candles are frequently used in churches and in church-related ceremonies. If your house of worship is responsible for an accidental fire that causes bodily injury or property damage to others, even if it occurs off church-grounds, this insurance will provide liability coverage.
- Cemetery professional liability insurance: Many churches also maintain cemeteries on their grounds. If this is the case with your church, this insurance coverage is necessary to protect you from lawsuits brought on by families of the deceased.
- Daycare and preschool liability insurance: If your church maintains a preschool or daycare, this insurance is necessary to protect you from lawsuits that may be brought on by unhappy parents. This can include injuries to children, negligence in care or hardships brought on by failure to provide service.
- Teachers professional liability insurance: Many churches have parochial schools associated with or in conjunction with the church. This insurance includes coverage for corporal punishment and other acts of wrongdoing for which your teachers may be sued.
- Employee practices liability insurance: This will protect your church if an employee sues for wrongful termination, discrimination, sexual harassment or any other sort of human-resources-related indiscretion, whether real or perceived.
- Directors, officers and trustees liability insurance: Many churches have a board of directors, officers or trustees. This insurance will protect them if they are sued by employees or members of the church for any sort of perceived wrong.
- Hired and non-owned auto liability insurance: If church employees or volunteers are responsible for a motor-vehicle accident while driving their personal vehicles for church-related business, your church can be held liable for damages. You can purchase hired and non-owned auto liability coverage to insure privately owned vehicles when they are being used for work for the church.
Contact us to get an Oklahoma church insurance quote.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only.
It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional
in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between
you and the blog and website publisher.