House on fireFires can happen in a number of ways. They may occur because of a product defect or as the result of an accident. However, sometimes they are the result of a bad habit or mistake that someone unknowingly makes. Four of these mistakes are discussed below.

Smoking in Bed

People who do this are aware that the ember on their cigarette is a fire hazard that can ignite their bed sheets into flames. However, this is dangerous even when you don’t think you’ll fall asleep. If you’re sufficiently tired and become too relaxed while lying down, sleep will follow.

Rags Soaked in Linseed Oil

Linseed oil is commonly used as a wood polish and sealant. What makes it dangerous is its tendency to combust under certain circumstances. Linseed oil combines with oxygen in the air and produces heat in the process. When it's used as wood polish, the flat wood surface allows this heat to dissipate.

However, when linseed oil soaked rags are tossed into a box, there isn't enough cooling area within the box for the rags to remain cool. These soaked rags can be thought of as a kind of chemical heat source, and when balled up, the heat is trapped and the rags heat up until they have the potential to catch on fire. Linseed oil soaked rags can be safely placed inside of a sealed metal can that's full of water.

Using Water to Put Out a Grease Fire

This is a common mistake that causes kitchen fires every year. Pouring water on a grease fire causes the water to instantly vaporize because the grease temperature is well above the boiling point of water. This instant vaporization is better described as an explosion which splatters the flaming grease out of the pan and spreads the fire. The correct way to put out a grease fire is to cover the pan with a lid, which deprives the fire of oxygen.

Overloading Circuits

This commonly happens when a large power strip is used to plug too many appliances into one electrical outlet. How many appliances can you safely plug into an outlet? This depends on the circuit itself, as well as the power consumption of the appliances. A general rule of thumb is to only plug one high power appliance into one outlet. An example of a high power appliance is a hair dryer.

Don't let the above mistakes cause a fire in your home. Install smoke detectors and make sure that you have enough home insurance coverage because sometimes accidents happen that are beyond your control.

Protect your home from fire risks. Call ECI Insurance Agency at (405) 373-2977 for more information on Oklahoma City home insurance.

Share |

NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012
  • 2011
  • 2010

View Mobile Version
Featured Carriers
Please note that we cannot bind insurance via email, fax, or phone. Any quotes given are subject to underwriting guidelines by the respective insurance carriers. Any reference of coverage used are not intended to express legal opinion as to the nature of coverage, but rather just a brief generalization of coverages. Please read your policy for specific details of coverages.

Stay Connected  Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Connect on LinkedIn Google maps YouTube


ECI Agency, Inc. | 325 Piedmont Rd N | P.O. BOX 600 | Piedmont, OK 73078 | Phone: (405) 373-2977 M-F 8am-5pm