According to the National Fire Protection Association, space heaters are the leading cause of home fires during December, January and February. When used improperly, space heaters that are gas-fueled, kerosene-fueled, electric, fixed or portable; wood stoves and fireplaces all can lead to serious injury or death. Such disasters can be prevented by utilizing the following safety tips:
1. When buying a space heater, make sure it carries the mark of a nationally-recognized testing laboratory. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for use.
2. Have your fireplace, wood or coal stove professionally inspected each year and clean as recommended by the professional.
3. Keep portable space heaters at least 3 feet from anything that can burn.
4. When buying space heaters, make sure they include an automatic shutoff feature in case the unit becomes overheated or tips over.
5. Be sure any gas-fueled heating device is properly ventilated to protect from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Please contact your local Fire Department with any questions.